Sexual Abuse…it’s a phrase that makes many people uncomfortable, but one that must be said. The more we talk about Sexual Abuse, the more we can do to prevent this tragic crime.
Sexual Assault Statistics In Colorado
- 1 in 4 women will experience sexual assault
- 1 in 17 men will experience sexual assault
- 73% of sexual assault survivors know their attackers
- 38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance
- Estimated only 10% of sexual assaults are reported to police
On this week’s show we’ll be talking with several staff members at our local Sexual Assault Victim Advocate Center (SAVA). Topics include services available to our local community, opportunities to volunteer, education for parents and children to prevent sexual abuse and how to recognize the signs of abuse. Kimberly Corban, rape survivor and victim advocate will be on the show sharing how she moved forward. An educator from Life Stories: Child and Family Advocacy will be telling parents what they HAVE to talk to their children about and signs of sexual abuse to watch for.